Welcome:

Yay! A girly food blog where we can share all our recipes! :D

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Potato and Beet Gratin

So I wanted to make beets for Easter, but I also wanted to make asparagus. And potatoes. So I combined the potatoes and beets based off of recipes I've made in the past and here's what I came up with:

  • Beets (I used 4 smallish ones because that's what the grocery store had)
  • Potatoes (I used an equal amount to the beets)
  • Gruyere (or something similar)
  • Cheddar (optional)
  • Parmesean (optional)
  • Cream
  • Thyme
  • Nutmeg
  • Olive oil
  1. Slicing: Slice the beets and potatoes very thinly. I used the slicer on my (super awesome) food processor so the slices ended up being about 1/4" thick.
  2. Oven: Preheat it to 375 F.
  3. Shredding: Shred the cheese(s). My shredder was broken so I ended up using a vegetable peeler (y-type) to "peel" the cheese. It worked pretty awesomely on the gruyere, but the cheddar was too mushy so I had to resort back to the broken grater.
  4. Layer: Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of a casserole/baking dish (anything ceramic or glass is fine). Place a layer of beets and potatoes in the bottom. Then a layer of cheese. Sprinkle in some thyme (fresh if you have it). Then a layer of beets and potatoes. Then a layer of cheese. More thyme. Repeat until you're out of stuff or out of room. Cover the top in an extra-cheesy layer. Dump some cream on it. I used about 3/4 c (guessing) for a 9x9ish dish that was half full. Then sprinkle with ground nutmeg.
  5. Bake: Cover in aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake another 15-30 minutes. It should be bubbly and delicious smelling and the beets and potatoes should be tender.
I may or may not add pictures here at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment